skip to main content



The term "DREAMer" is often used to describe undocumented students who wish to pursue higher education after graduating from high school.  However, these students often face many challenges trying to pursue higher education, such as lack of information or they may have difficulty discussing their situation with others due to the fact that they will likely need to disclose their citizenship status.  This page is intended to provide information and resources that may make their dream of pursuing post-secondary education a reachable long-term goal versus just a dream.


The state of California, as well as other states, do offer financial assistance to undocumented students.  In California, several assembly bills have passed to offer financial support, AB 540, AB 2000, AB 130, and AB 131. : comparison chart from the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) which compares the bills side by side .  If you are eligible to apply for the California Dream Act, you will not fill out the Free Application for Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA).  Students who plan to apply to out-of-state universities, must check with the university to verify the information needed to request financial assistance.


The California Dream Act is an application which allows qualified students the ability to apply for in-state financial aid, be eligible for school funded scholarships, and the board of governors (BOG) fee waiver within the community colleges, private schools, and the public universities in California.  A student must meet the following requirements to qualify for the California Dream Act:
  • attended a high school (public or private) in California for three or more years, or
  • attained credits earned in California from a California high school equivalent to three or more years of full-time high school course work and attended a combination of elementary, middle and/or high schools in California for a total of three or more years 2 and
  • graduated or will graduate from a California high school or attainment of General Education Development (GED), High School Equivalency Test (HiSET), or Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC), and
  • Will register or enroll in an accredited and qualifying California college or university, and
  • If applicable, complete an affidavit to legalize immigration status as soon as eligible, and
  • Not hold any of the following non-immigrant visas (A, B, C, D, E, F, H, J, etc.)**
  • **If you have Temporary Protected Status or hold a U Visa select you may be eligible.


As students begin to research universities/colleges they may decide to apply to, students will want to verify what type of services or support they have on campus for undocumented students, in hopes to provide a safe and comfortable learning environment for students, no matter what their citizenship status may be.  The two public university systems in California, California State University (CSU) and the University of California (UC), will likely have a liaison or a resource center dedicated to undocumented students.  Students wishing to attend a private or out-of-state university will need to research and verify if the university/college offers financial assistance and if they offer additional support/services to undocumented students.  In the quick links section, you will find a list of possible universities that may be "undocu" friendly.  Again, it is the student's responsibility to verify with the schools to determine eligibility.



Under Assembly Bill 60,  the State of California, Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) may issue a driver's license, regardless of immigration status.  In order to be eligible, you must meet certain requirements.  Visit the DMV for more information
HEEF scholarship